DOUGH’s Chef Brian Ross takes the heat in the 4th annual WNC Chefs Challenge, hosted by the Asheville Food + Wine Festival and sponsored by WNC Magazine. The competition brings together culinary leaders from the region in weekly battles built around a secret ingredient.
The dinners will be held every Tuesday, February 12 through April 30, at Chestnut restaurant, located at 48 Biltmore Avenue in Asheville. The quarterfinals and semifinals will follow this summer, leading up to the Asheville Wine & Food Festival, which happens August 23-24.
On March 5, Chef Brian Ross will take on Chef Michael Marshall of Harrah’s Cherokee Resort!
At each cook-off, diners will enjoy six plated culinary creations (three from each team) that
incorporate a secret ingredient and will then score each dish. The votes from the audience and
from a panel of professional chefs, food writers, and culinary experts will then be tallied. A
winner, to be announced at the end of the night, will continue to the next round of competition.
Tickets for the WNC Chefs Challenge are $49 per person, and can be purchased online at
http://www.ashevillewineandfood.com or by calling (828) 225-6944. Beverages, sales tax, and
gratuity are not included. This year’s benefiting organization is Eliada, a nonprofit agency
serving North Carolina’s children and families.
Please visit http://www.ashevillewineandfood.com or www.wncchefschallenge.eventbrite.com for more information.
We’re very excited to announce our first big contest! We plan to build a Little Free Library filled with cookbooks and books about food to put in front of the market, and we are asking you to come up with the design!
This blank “canvas” awaits your artistic genius!
The winning design will be seen through to completion by DOUGH’s stellar construction/design crew
and displayed prominently on Merrimon Avenue filled with books for all to enjoy.
(And yes, there will be cookbooks!)
1st prize: The winner will also receive a $100 gift card to be used at DOUGH for food and/or cooking classes.
2nd prize: a $50 gift card.
3rd prize: a $25 gift card.
All entrants will receive a free DOUGH bowl scraper!
How It Works
- Starting Tuesday, November 20, designers should scan and submit their sketches or graphic art via Facebook.
- Designs must be received by Dec. 11 in order to be considered.
- Submitted designs will be posted on Facebook for the public to vote on their favorite one.
- A committee made up of DOUGH staff and a few select others will choose one winning design plus a second and third prize from the five entries that receive the most votes.
- Winners will be announced on Facebook Sunday, Dec. 16!
- Use either The Basic* library design (seen above) for the basis of your design or feel free to think outside the library box! Either way, please remember we are working with a $300 budget. (This is a library box, not the Guggenheim.)
- Keep DOUGH in mind when you design. We are a chef-driven market that will offer prepared foods, baked goods, a well-curated grocery as well as cooking classes.
- Designer’s block? Look to the Little Free Library gallery for inspiration. Library designs will be posted on Facebook for everyone to vote on, so make sure your plan/sketch is easily understood. Entries should include a visual of what your finished library would look like along with 140 characters to describe your vision, process or any stand-out elements.
- The public will have until Dec. 14 to vote on Facebook. That’s your chance to get the word out about your design and win votes! Learn more about Little Free Libraries here.
- Questions? Email us here.
*Built of weather-resistant plywood with barn wood trim, the Basic Little Library is designed for you to finish or decorate. It can be checkered, polka-dotted or striped; decoupaged with retro recipe cards or embellished with oven knobs. You can paint a mural or make a collage. The whole point is to have the only one like it in the world—and you are the designer!