Everything tastes better with bacon and parsnips are no exception. This seasonal root veggie, which is the carrot’s sweeter cousin, makes a great side for the holidays and all winter long. Rich in potassium, parsnips are also a great source of fiber.
Mashed Parsnips with Bacon and Fried Parsnip Strips
2 pounds peeled parsnips + 2 large parsnips peeled
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic sliced into large pieces
1/2 pound bacon – cooked and crumbled
finely chopped chives
1. Season the parsnips with salt and pepper and steam them until very tender with the garlic.
2. Puree parsnip mix until smooth and season to taste. Set aside.
3. In a skillet, fry the bacon until nice and crispy. Remove from the skillet and crumble.
4. Using a vegetable peeler, make long thin slices of the two parsnips and fry in oil until golden brown.
5. Stir and heat the puree before serving then sprinkle with the crumbled bacon and fried parsnip strips.
6. Sprinkle with finely chopped chives and serve.